ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from interim HC Mike Sanford

Nikkieds

Buff All-American
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2022
  • Deion Smith was able to walk out of the facility on his own accord. He has functionality of all limbs. Smith will not be practicing Tuesday and the staff will "play it by ear" his availability for this week, but Smith is expected to play on Saturday against Oregon State.
    • "Jayle and Charlie being fully capable to go and share load, if there is a reason that Deion isn't able to play, if Fontenot isn't back as well."
    • "Alex [Fontenot] will be interesting to see where he's at from Tuesday, Wednesday."
  • Owen McCown is still the starter moving forward. Sanford made the assessment to take him out after the hard sack at the beginning of the third.
    • "I wanted our football team to be able to finish the game well and J.T. did an incredibly good job and he will continue to grow, both will continue to grow and those guys give us a really good combination."
  • The defense learned an, "entirely new structure over the course of 10 days," Sanford said. The scheme was overall sound, but Sanford wants to further develop the communication between the defensive staff when it comes to adjustments.
  • Sanford added a Sunday night practice. Players with less than 10 snaps in the game played in a "Ralphie Bowl" and scrimmaged this evening.
    • They had a family picnic at the IPF. "I just wanted to continue to create that atmosphere of family for our football team as we go down the stretch."
  • It was big to have Brady Russell back in the offensive fold.
  • Sanford on rotating his tackles yesterday:
    • Three guys that really stood out in terms of their performance offensively on the O line was was [RT] Jake Wiley, [LG] Casey Roddick and I thought Casey played his best game season by longshot. And then I thought [RG] Tommy Brown played really well also.
  • On special teams, Toren Pittman and Anthony Lyle were, "millimeters," away from blocking a punt. Sanford wanted to see speed out of the unit and, "I think that was the best we've worked all year."
    • "I think they really benefited from the energy on the sideline," he said. "We had the towel mafia waving towels on kickoffs and kickoff returns, that was fun to see."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News