ADVERTISEMENT

Should the Pac 12 adopt a Big 10 “Tolerance” policy against holding night games in November?

LA_Buff

Buff Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The response from me is both yes and no and I’ll elaborate.

Night football games in November are not explicitly prohibited under the Big Ten Conference's rules. It does, however, follow a long-standing custom known as the "Big Ten November Night Games Agreement" or the "November Night Game Moratorium."

Its purpose, according to my research is, “To prioritize the security and welfare of student-athletes, spectators, and officials, the conference traditionally avoided scheduling night football games in November because of this agreement. The goal was to reduce the negative effects of the cold and any potentially challenging playing circumstances that might occur during nighttime games in the late fall.”

The Buffs will travel to Pullman to face the Cougars this season. And there is a significant chance that it will be a night game. Colorado last competed at WSU on November 10, 2018. Watching that game with Steven Montez out there in the freezing rain was excruciating. The Buffs suffered a 31-7 loss in front of just 5,000 spectators. Bad, bad football. This November 17, the Buffs will be at Pullman.

The Pac-12 Conference does not have a specific rule that universally forbids night football games in November. There is no formal agreement or ban on scheduling night games in November, unlike the Big Ten Conference.

Again, I found this statement. “Throughout the whole football season, including November, the Pac-12 Conference has flexibility in scheduling games, including night games. Together, the conference and its member universities design schedules that consider things like media deals, fan attendance, competitive balance, and logistical concerns. This indicates that night football games can and do take place within the Pac-12 Conference in November.

It's important to remember that the league decides on the schedule each year, considering several different factors, and that precise game schedules and timeslots are decided on an annual basis. Although the Pac-12 does not outright forbid November night matches, scheduling choices are made with the teams, players, spectators, and overall game experience in mind.”

In response to a query about losing the Los Angeles market earlier this summer, George K. said, "I think we're going to be playing in Los Angeles for a long time to come." Does this mean that Pac 12 will be playing night games in Los Angeles and possibly even Las Vegas? We know it has been discussed. For example, recently Arizona State opened a satellite campus in Los Angeles. And a person knowledgeable on these matters said it’s possible that a game such as ASU hosting Cal game Sofi Stadium could be in the future.

I’d love to see it. I don't want to see the Buffs out there at 10 o'clock at night in the freezing rain ever again.

Last edited:
Reactions: snead45
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News