ADVERTISEMENT

Shedeur and Lewis

Buff Fan42

Buff Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Like Coach Prime, Shedeur has been the best thing to happen to CU for decades. Yes, I could do with a little less self-promotion and showing off his $$$, but I'll live with it as long as he is as much of a gamer that he is and is a good kid overall.

As has been seen, if he is not nearly perfect, CU can't win now. He missed a wide open Travis Hunter that would have put us in position to win and it seemed like he had a bad game. Crazy! He had a great game until that throw and of course the awful decision for the jump ball which he acknowledged was a huge mistake (duh!) All of this is to point to why he has this "Superman Complex" - if he can't make it happen no one can. IMO, besides the OL being atrocious, this is one of the reasons he is the most sacked and hit QB in the country. He holds and holds the ball trying to make the big play opposed to living to see another down. Too many intentional groundings because he holds to long desperate to finds something downfield and just has to try to throw the ball away to no-one after retreating 10+ yards.

How does Shedeur progress? Well, I think we have seen a little in the last two games when he uses his legs quickly when the play is not there. Take the short gain (or even some nice longer runs) opposed to waiting for the big pass play to develop. He's doing that more, so great understanding and maturation. The other part is on the options . . . there have been too many times where he has held onto the ball at the mesh-point instead of handing it off and it creates slow developing runs that are eaten up at the LOS. The more he starts taking some incompletions or short gains to live another play, he will be even that much better . . . and when he finally gets some blocking next year (fingers crosses), damn, is he going to be scary.

When it comes to Lewis, I really scratch my head with a lot of the play calls and I think much of the offense's success is due to Shedeur making incredible plays. I know the OL sucks, but these slow developing run plays have killed us, the lateral runs rarely work, keeping Shedeur in the no-existent pocket are getting him killed. Maybe even throw in a true old-school Hagan to Bienemy/Flannigan option with Edwards? Opposing defenses know that generally get a free rush, so let's see some better scheming.

In any case, most of his play calling is super predictable and if not for Shedeur, I think we are having the same complaints that we had with the last few OCs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News