ADVERTISEMENT

READ: The Rise Report - 5/17

MikeSinger

Buff Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Make sure to check out the CUSportsNation Recruiting Insider and CU spring recruiting evaluation period offer thread for all of the day-to-day recruiting updates. The Rise Report, as you all know, is a big picture, detailed update on where Colorado stands with recruiting.

As always, this information is premium for a reason! It's for you all that are members of CUSportsNation.com and is not meant to be shared outside of the message board.

Enjoy!

Quick Hitters

- The Colorado coaching staff is really preparing for what the early signing period will be like. This is going to be a very interesting recruiting cycle to follow with regular high school recruits being able to sign in December.

- A source believes that Colorado will sign about 70-75% of their 2018 class this December. This is good for schools as they don't have to "babysit" their commits in January by visiting them. Now, the staff will focus their time on their top remaining targets in the month of January that are signing in February.

- If a Colorado commit does not sign in December, then that obviously gives the staff a great idea of where they stand with the recruit. I'm interested in knowing that if Colorado will even consider the recruit as "committed" at that point.

- After the 2018 class signs, then Colorado has just a couple of months to get ready for 2019 recruits that will be able to officially visit in the spring, starting in April. In talking with sources around the program, I've learned how much Colorado is working ahead. They're identifying their top 2019 guys very early so they can build those relationships and get the recruits on campus for officials in the spring. I'm not sure how much CU will use this new rule of juniors visiting; I'm not sure how much the staff knows at this point. It's a fluid situation.

Camp Rundown

Colorado will have all of their available coaches at the University of Redlands on June 3 - and that's head coach, assistant coaches, and I believe four graduate assistants.

CU is partnering with Texas A&M Commerce, which is in the Dallas area on June 10. This is great work by the CU staff as they really wanted to be in Dallas this summer.

The new camp rule is that coaches can only have ten days of camps. It's not that they're only allowed to go to ten camps - it's ten days of camps total. So on June 17, CU will have coaches at three different camps to be in key markets - Northern Arizona, Sacramento State, and San Jose State for a junior college camp.

The following day, June 18, Colorado will remain at SJSU for a high school camp. The day after the SJSU high school camp, June 19, CU will be at Houston Baptist University.

Colorado is having their high school camps on June 8 and June 22.

As you all know, the Family BBQ, which falls on July 22 this year, that CU holds is a very effective tool for the staff. It is an invite only event; the staff will host their current commitments as well as their top targets that they believe are close to committing.

Colorado has been offering a lot of junior college defensive tackles this spring. At this moment, I do not believe any of the JC DT's are close to committing to CU at this point based on my talk with a source. Colorado offered some of these JC DT's without getting their full academic information - some of the coaches offered them after getting their academic info. I found that interesting.

Outside of having the coaches working tirelessly during the spring recruiting period, there isn't a whole lot going on in CU recruiting, but that will change in June during the camp circuit. The recruits right now are focused on spring football and not taking visits.

A source says that Colorado is recruiting higher caliber prospect than in years past - not so much based on ability, but based on kids with big time offer lists. Those are the type of kids that wait out the recrutiing process to see who all offers, like the attention, want to take all of their visits, etc.

Positional Rundown

I wrote about this in my last Rise Report but wanted to hit quickly on it again as I have a couple of new updates...

DT - Colorado is looking to take one high school DT and one JuCo DT, per source.

OLB - likely done with Joshka Gustav unless the next Von Miller comes around, then they'll take two

WR - I was thinking 1 or 2, but it's likely just going to be one. After getting KD Nixon in the 2017 class, CU doesn't need another smaller slot receiver. They want a bigger outside receiver.

S - Likely two safeties.. Ray Robinson is committed and will likely play the "Buff" spot (hybrid OLB/S) and then CU will look to get a true safety.

CB - I thought 1 or 2 here originally, but I'm hearing that it's likely just one - or even could be zero. It's a luxury position for CU in this class.

OL - If Walker Culver sticks, then they're done with him. If he decommits, then look for CU to go after another 2018 OT. The only offers I've seen CU dish out in the past few weeks to 2018 OT's are two JuCo offensive tackles.... With interior lineman, nothing has changed here - they have Jynes at OG and are shooting for the stars at center. It's Justin Dedich or no one.

A source tells me that Colorado is feeling good with where they stand with their six 2018 commitments. When Gustav committed a couple of months ago, there was some worry that he committed to hold a spot and wasn't truly in love with CU, but over time, that feeling has gone away. My source feels that Gustav is solid.

When Josh Jynes committed, there was some worry that a school might try to make a "package deal" for Jynes and the DeSoto twins, German and Gemon Green. However, the Green twins committed to Michigan, so there's no concern there at the moment.

Rise Report Archive (post 2017 NSD)

April 20

April 13

March 28

March 11

March 3

February 16

Colorado Commitments Updated March 24, 2017

Josh Jynes - Offensive Guard - DeSoto, Texas - 6-foot-3, 310-pounds - 3 Stars

Joshka Gustav - Outside Linebacker - San Bernardino, CA - 6-3, 220 - 3-Stars

Max Borghi - Running Back - Arvada, CO - 5-foot-10, 185 - 3-Stars

Blake Stenstrom - Quarterback - Highlands Ranch, CO - 6-3, 185 - 3-Stars

Walker Culver - Offensive Line - Chattanooga, TN - 6-5, 246 - 3-Stars

Ray Robinson - Defensive Back - Highlands Ranch, CO - 6-2, 205 - 3-Stars

Commits By Position

1 - Quarterback

1 - Running Back

2 - Offensive Linemen

1 - Defensive Back

1 - Outside Linebacker

Where They Are From

3 - Colorado

1 - Tennessee

1 - California

1 - Texas

Highest Rated Colorado Rivals.com Recruit

Ray Robinson - Defensive Back - Highlands Ranch, CO - 6-2, 205 - 3-Stars, rated as a 5.6

Links to Previous Colorado Signing Classes

p7jhhb8jizlbp60cxo35

Reactions: dabdab
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News