ADVERTISEMENT

OT, board is slow. Hero's / GOAT's you've been blessed to watch.

JBTBUFFS

Junior Starter
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
San Antonio, TX
The death of the great Jim Brown this week got me to reminiscing about my all-time sports hero's and the GOAT's I've been lucky enough to watch and enjoy in my lifetime.

Growing up in Birmingham, AL in the mid to late 60's, of course my first love was Bama football, right in the middle of their other great dynasty period under Bear Bryant. Although I don't actually remember Joe Nameth, playing at Alabama, I followed him with the Jets in the old AFL. Similarly, Bart Star of the Packers was also a Bama guy, so he too was one of my early hero's. The first Bama QB I actually got to see play was Kenny "Snake" Stabler and he's still one of my all-time favorites.

As far as baseball, I was a Braves fan and Hammerin Hank Aaron is still one of my all-time sports hero's. By the way, one of my great treasures is my 1954 Topps Aaron rookie card. Also had a lot of interest in Reggie Jackson as he played minor league ball with the Birmingham A's for a short while and I got to go see him play.

Later on, we moved to Texas and I started following the Cowboys, and still do to this day. My ultimate all-time sports hero is Roger Staubach and I admire him to this day in every walk of life.

One of my great sports memories growing up was listening to the great Ali / Frazier / Forman fights on the radio with my Dad. I became a huge Ali fan and followed him his whole carreer.

Thanks for letting me wax sentimental and share.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News