ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson: 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

kyle h

Buff Heisman
Feb 3, 2005
Good Morning Ladies & Gentlemen. You can now smell the Football Recruiting BBQ, Fall Camp is now in sight, and today it's another addition of my 10 thoughts from the weekend. Media Day Wrap Up, grading the defense, top user posts, Buff Tweets, Buy or Sell, and much more included! Enjoy

1. Media Day Wrap Up

j6qzcpeuhvyz04saagzu

I was looking forward to hearing Head Colorado Football Coach Mike MacIntyre, Corner Back Chidobe Awuzie, and Quarterback Sefo Liufau speak at media day and here are a few takeaways. One theme emerging as we move close to the season is Colorado’s veteran experience. Despite being picked 6th in PAC 12 South by the Media, Colorado seems ready to take that next leap, lets face it they have to.

"Everyone looks down on us, no one thinks we’re going to win games, we have the most seniors and juniors in this league. We’ve earned the right to be here and to win. You have to work your way up in life, we’ve come up a tremendous amount, we could of won a lot of games last year, I want to see these kids faces when they’ve come from nothing to something,” Said MacIntyre at Media Day.

MacIntyre also pointed out that according to Colorado SID David Plati the Buffs have one of the top junior-season classes in numbers in the history of the school. As mentioned several times this summer Colorado returns more than 15 players that have seen significant action on the field, especially on the defensive side of the football.

On Recruiting

One of the more interesting questions asked during media day towards MacIntyre related to the Buffs’ Class of 2017 recruiting class and what has helped him as well as the staff sell Colorado to future prospects. MacIntyre pointed out the the new facilities are phenomenal and commented that the new upgrades on campus are transformational for the program.

He also went on to say that the Buffs now have a whole recruiting office and are starting to see the fruition of having a whole recruiting staff. This has allowed for Colorado to make quicker inroads, evaluations, and has allowed for Colorado to stay on top of that. MacIntyre ended that statement with: The facilities are icing on the cake.

2016 Fan Experience and Player Cafeteria

MacIntyre said along with the new facilities Colorado has created a stadium club and also put box seats outside of that so everyone that sits in that area can come up and get drinks, food, etc. He also mentioned that Colorado has upgraded the football cafeteria, put in stool seating, wood floors, brick, a very nice addition. This area is also used as a stadium club during game days.

2. 10 Things I learned on NCAA Reditt

Penn State kicker Joey Julius is now listed at 5-10, 271 pounds.

Tate Martell has deleted every tweet he ever sent (except for one)

USC coach Clay Helton talks about the USC/Alabama opener, praises Bama's coaching

344 DT from Virginia Tech is scary fast

Learned that Idaho State was named: Idaho Technical Institute in 1915, University of Idaho Southern in 1927, renamed to Idaho State College in 1947, then named Idaho State in 1963. Cool pic of Idaho State’s Stadium (Holt Arena)
QmgCQYU.jpg

Learned that Kansas Football has a record of 12-60 from 2010 to 2015

Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker competed in the Winter Olympics. Competed in the Bobsleigh for the US in 1992 Winter Olympics.

Learned that Colorado is 8-2 on the road against Arizona (.800 Winning PCT) [

Jon Embree of Colorado had a winning pct. of just .160 The Worst Head Coach in the History Of Each Pac-12 School (Since 1936)From 2011-2012 Jon Embree was 4-21 which is a winning percentage of .160

UW Huskies will be one of the first CFB teams to wear new 'state of the art' helmet designed to reduce concussions.

3. Your Grade For The Colorado Corners: B

Each week we’ve asked the premium subscribers to grade a particular unit on the offensive or defensive side of the football. This past week we asked you to grade the corners and with no surprise 66.7% gave the unit a B overall.

Chidobe Awuzie is one of the Nation’s Best and has been mentioned in several preseason award lists, Ahkello Witherspoon started last year, and the excitement surrounding Isaiah Oliver a rising sophomore is prevalent.

Head Coach Mike MacIntyre mentioned several times during PAC 12 media day that what makes Awuzie a great college player and future pro-player is the fact that he can play Corner, Nickel, or even Safety.

Witherspoon played in all 13 games last year and had 2 interceptions and Oliver who many feel could be the best athlete on the defense had a brilliant spring game. Nick Fisher is another name to know along with incoming signees Ronnie Blackmon, Trey Udoffia, and Ca’Ron Baham.

4. Your Grade For The Colorado Defensive Linemen: B

Again we asked you to grade the defensive line this past week and 64% of you graded the defensive line a B. Though the Buffs return just two starters up front, a big boost for the unit as a whole has to be the return of Josh Tupou.

Tupou a 6-foot-3, 325 senior who sat out last year because of off the field issues returns for his senior year, which looks promising.

Throw in the returning experience of Jordan Carrell and Leo Jackson III Colorado’s defensive front three is formidable.

Samson Kafovalu who played in all 13 games last year was recently listed as status TBA for the 2016 season in Colorado’s pencil in-depth chart released July 6th, many expect Sophomore Jase Franke a 6-foot-3, 270 pound defensive tackle to contribute this year.

5. Buff Tweets

6. Best User Posts Last Week

@Xeroes
(In regards to PAC 12 Media Poll)
It's really simple- Win some F***ing conference games, with an upset here and there, and maybe you will get some respect. This staff and this program has not shown anything thus far to warrant a higher ranking. This season is put up or GTFO, IMHO.

@BUFFjunkie
(In Regards To Toughest Places In Conference To Play)
Right now it's probably Autzen, but the venues obviously become tougher if the team is good and vice versa. Venues I've been to with CU as the opponent and the year.

Washington 1999 - GB's first year as well as Neuheisel's at UW. It seems like CU outplayed UW, but still lost the game. Husky Stadium is still the loudest stadium I've been to and I can only imagine it's louder since the renovations.

USC 2000 - Marcus Houston, runs roughshod over the Trojans but Carson Palmer and the Paul Hackett led Trojans get the W in a close game.

Oregon 2012 - UO has a 48-0 halftime lead and we go down to the Moshofsky Center to drink beer and never go back to our seats in the second half.

Utah 2011 - CU ends their 23 game road losing streak, which was the longest in the nation at the time. We sat next to Will Pericak's brother whom was wearing a Spyder Ski Jacket and I proceeded to call him Spyder Pericak (blame the booze). My friend picked me up at my house at 3:45 to catch the 6AM flight to SLC. Lucky for us the only place in SLC that served liquor at 7AM was the airport which we took advantage of waiting for our ride to pick us up. Went to the CU pregame at Squatters and had a great time. We partied after the game until 1AM, which meant I was up for 22 straight hours. It was a great day, except for my liver. On a side note, the fans at Rice-Eccles Stadium have a thing for flags and security must let them bring the 20 ft extension poles in with them.

@Scavenger
(In regards to the Top 10 Colorado Football Teams of All-Time)
Some good choices in this thread. People love the '89 team but that team caught some amazing breaks and the euphoria was real along with the Sal saga. It just looked like a team of destiny. The '90 team was basically the '89 team with a healthy Bienemy, a better WR corps, better special teams, and stud CBs with the return of Deon Figures. No Soupy, but Charles Johnson on returns was pretty good. All but I think 3 starters returned for the '90 team and with Bienemy and Figures in there full time, that was an amazing squad. The '90 team just played one of the toughest CU schedules of all time if not the toughest. The '94 squad was the best, worst coached, squad ever.
'90 - Great team that won an actual championship against an ugly schedule.
'94 - A great team that SHOULD have absolutely won the national title.
'89 - A surprisingly good team that suspended both starting CBs (Figures and Pontiflet) for the season, lost one of their best offensive players (Bienemy), but survived on Hagan magic.
'95 - Oh how good would that team be had we not lost our starting QB.
'01 - Team lost some ugly games (Texas, Oregon), but had some of the most beautiful wins and should have been in the national title game if not for a rotten CU professor who wouldn't grade Flores' paper in time for the kickoff classic home opener (which we lost due to not having a kicker).
Honorable Mention: '96 and '71. The '96 team was probably better than the '01 team, but the running game was too Neuheisal'd by then to win big for us.

@coloradorulz
(Posted in the Kati Perry Thread)
giphy.gif

7. Buy or Sell

1. Colorado finishes 3rd or 4th in the PAC 12 South
Buy - What the hell, let’s roll with the preseason rise hype and believe in this group of juniors and seniors. I honestly believe Colorado should beat Arizona State, Arizona, and UTAH this year.

2. The 2016 Offensive Line > 2015 Offensive Line
Buy - Really like what projects to be a very good offensive line and think this group will prove themselves when the time comes and protect Sefo. A big reason in my confidence is Jeromy Irwin returning and I really like what I see from Senior Alex Kelley. Throw in guys like Tim Lynott and Shane Callahan, what’s not to like?

3. Having two offensive coordinators worries you
Buy - Never been a fan of a two offensive coordinator type system, just like I don’t like when teams rotate quarterbacks. IMO it’s very difficult for offensives to find chemistry and usually too many cooks in the kitchen can cause chaos.

4. Colorado's overall experience (returning starters) will be the equalizer against PAC 12 opponents this year.
Buy - Easy buy here. HCMM has stressed this all throughout summer and now it’s time to let the boys run. Colorado doesn’t seem afraid to play with the caliber of the PAC 12 and that showed in their many nail biters they were in during the 2015 season.

5. At least one prospect commits to the Buffs during the July 24th BBQ
Buy - Recruiting is poppin right now at CU. Summer BBQ and Boulder are two things that should be married.

6. The secondary comes up with more than 14 interceptions this season
Hold - That is a lot of interceptions, but Colorado has some baller. I think if anything the Buffs have 14 or just under what they did last year. Thinking Tedric comes up with 4 himself though.

7. Colorado's defense forces at least two shutouts this year
Sell - I think this one is close. Idaho State won’t score on the first team and I think they have a shot to blank Oregon State at home on the 1st. Coming off road games against Michigan and Oregon should have them ready for anything else that comes their way.

8. HCMM is a top 6 coach in the PAC 12
Sell - What a great guy he seems to be. But this is a business and you have to win on the field. Is it the X’s and O’s or the Jimmy and Joes’s? This year could answer that question.

9. 10 teams from the PAC 12 reach bowl games again in 2016
Sell - I cannot believe that 10 out of 12 teams made bowl games from the PAC 12, that is an incredible stat. Just don’t see it happening again, way to rare.

10. Mojo IPA > Coors Light Draft8.
Sell - Coors Light draft (Only When Had In Colorado) is incredibly smooth.

8. Getting To Know The First Opponent: Colorado State

Head Coach: Mike Bobo (2nd Year)

Offensive Coordinator: Will Friend

Defensive Coordinator: MartyEnglish

Last Year: 7-6, 5-3

Returning Offensive Starters: 6

Returning Defensive Starters: 5

Colorado State returns 4 offensive line starters

Quarterback Nick Stevens threw for 2,679-yards and 21 touchdowns in 2015

Running Back Dalyn Dawkins ran for 867-yards and 2 touchdowns in 2015

Linebacker Kevin Davis recorded 101 tackles in 2015

Scoring Average Per Game (Offensively) In 2015: 29.6

Scoring Average Per Game (Defensively) in 2015: 27.2

Top Incoming Signee is Christian Colon a 6-foot-3, 309 pound defensive tackle out of Charlotte, NC

They have only landed 5 commitments from the Class of 2017

Rocky Mountain Showdown Last 10 Games

2015: Colorado 27, Colorado State 24 OT

2014: Colorado State 31, Colorado 17

2013: Colorado 41, Colorado State 27

2012: Colorado State 22, Colorado 17

2011: Colorado 28, Colorado State 14

2010: Colorado 24, Colorado State 3

2009: Colorado State 23, Colorado 17

2008: Colorado 38, Colorado State 17

2007: Colorado 31, Colorado State 28 OT

2006: Colorado State 14, Colorado 10

How Last Year's Game Ended
mi2zwafhwahwqqbamxvc

9. 18 Days Until Fall Camp

There are just 18 days until real football begins in Colorado. Fall camp is when we really get going and today we highlight 18 Colorado Football Stats/Facts.
  1. Most Coaching Wins: Bill McCartney with 93
  2. Colorado has only played in 13 overtime games
  3. Colorado is 2-21-1 all-time against teams from California
  4. Colorado is 63-22-2 against Colorado State
  5. Last kick return for a touchdown was in 2013 by Nelson Spruce against CAL
  6. Sefo Liufau accounted for 527-yards of offense against CAL in 2014
  7. The last time a RB ran for 300+ yards was by Chris Brown who ran for 309 in 2002 against Kansas
  8. Did you know that in 2013 Michael Adkins II ran for 4 touchdowns against Charleston Southern
  9. Colorado’s last defensive shutout was against Wyoming in 2009, they won 24-0
  10. Ron Woolfork record 4 quarterback sacks in a game against Iowa in 1992
  11. The All-Time Longest Colorado Play is by Emerson Wilson who scored a 95-yard touchdown against Kansas State in 1954.
  12. Mason Crosby kicked a 60-yard field goal against Iowa State in 2004
  13. Colorado is 5-5 in season openers over the last 10 seasons
  14. Longest touchdown run in 2015 was by Donovan Lee for 50-yards against Nicholls State
  15. Longest interception return in 2015 was by Tedric Thompson of 71-yards against Stanford
  16. Most quarterback sacks in 2015 was against Oregon, where the Buffs had 5
  17. Colorado recorded 34 first downs against UCLA in 2015
  18. Chidobe Awuzie played in 897 total snaps in 2015 (most on defense)
10. Funny Gifs

7EvsT.gif

1396630635_dogs_fails_at_jumping_on_couch.gif

Raccoon-Steals-Cat-Food.gif

Q8bay.gif

Additional

F off Pokemon

Look, play whatever game you want. No one cares. However Pokemon has created a PokeStop inside the National Holocaust Museum. Really? Pokemon is an app/game where you hunt for characters. Just the other night in New York City, hundreds were seen running down the street trying to catch a figure.

Unreal

Here is a list of people's names that have died in senseless acts over the last few weeks. Remember it's never a bad time to tell the one's you love, you love them.

84 dead in Nice, France attack

Alton Sterling - Age 37 - Baton Rouge

Offer Lorne Ahrens - Age XX - Dallas

Offer Michael Smith - Age 55 - Dallas

Officer 2 - Age - XXX - Baton Rouge

Officer 3 - Age - XX - Baton Rouge

Officer Brent Thompson - Age 43 - Dallas

Officer Michael Krol - Age XX - Dallas

Officer Montell Jackson - Age XX - Baton Rouge

Officer Patrick Zamarripa - Age XX - Dallas

Philando Castile - AGE 32 - Minnesota

ADVERTISEMENT