ADVERTISEMENT

BuffStampede Bits: Star-studded group of visitors

Adam Munsterteiger

Folsom Field King
Aug 5, 2003
Superior, CO
www.buffstampede.com
1788304.jpg

Four-star offensive guard prospect Edward Ingram is one of five highly ranked prospects from Desoto (Texas) High visiting the Buffaloes this weekend

After hosting an impressive group of in-state recruits in late February, the Buffaloes are set to show off what they have to offer to a group of out-of-state prospects on Saturday. It is not really advertised as a Junior Day, as it is designed more for top targets. I guess you could call it an "Elite Junior Day." A lot of the visitors made it out to Boulder early to attend Friday morning's practice.

As I posted earlier this morning, four-star wide receiver prospect Jaylon Jackson, from Cedar Hill (Texas) High, is one of the headlining recruits checking out Colorado this weekend. The Buffs feel very good about their chances with Jackson, who missed his junior season due to a torn ACL but has made a full recovery. He is viewed as a perfect fit for what Colorado is now running offensively after adding in some of the Texas Tech concepts. Arizona State, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Washington State are some of the other programs that have offered Jackson. He is accompanied by his Cedar Hill teammate, cornerback Caleb Lawton, who has yet to receive any offers.

As expected, five highly regarded prospects from Desoto (Texas) High have made it out to Colorado to check out the Buffs. Between them, four-star offensive lineman Edward Ingram, four-star wide receiver Laviska Shenault, three-star offensive lineman Xavier Newman, four-star wide receiver K.D. Nixon and three-star offensive tackle Hyrin White, have received 67 scholarship offers.

Salinas (Calif.) Palma's Drew Dalman has not been mentioned on this site before, but he is a prospect to keep a close eye on. He is an interior offensive lineman the Buffs are very high on. Dalman has eight total offers now, after picking up an offer from Arizona on Thursday. He visited the Wildcats recently and also attended a Junior Day event at Stanford.Sacramento (Calif.) Inderkum athete Trajon Cotton, a three-star prospect currently ranked among the top 50 recruits in the Golden State, made it out to Colorado on Friday morning. Cal, Nebraska, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, Utah and Washington State are also after Cotton. He has 17 total offers.Anaheim (Calif.) Servite quarterback Tyler Lytle is at Colorado State today and he will be in Boulder tomorrow morning. Arizona State, Boston College, Cal, Miami, Vanderbilt and Washington State are some of the other programs battling for Lytle. "Coach [Darrin] Chiaverini thinks I could do big things at Colorado," he recently told me. "Coach Chiaverini feels like I can help them on their way to bringing back their glory days.”

I'll be making a lot of calls later this weekend and early next week trying to get as many of these visitors on the phone for a full update as possible. I also finally got contact info for Valor Christian defensive tackle Noah Elliss, so look for an update on him in the near future. He attended the Buffs' recruiting event in late February.

*** Four of the Buffaloes' top quarterback targets from the Class of 2017 – Dylan McCaffrey, Avery Davis, Tua Tagovailoa and Braxton Burmeister – have either verbally committed elsewhere or are no longer considering Colorado. Lytle and Chase Cord, who will be visiting Boulder next Saturday, are now at the top of the board. The Buffs are closely evaluating Chase Garbers, who will also be in Boulder to watch the spring game next Saturday.

*** Mullen cornerback Christian Cumber, who has been a top target for the Buffs for over a year now, was at CU on Wednesday to go through the “Student for the Day” activities. It is something new they have been doing this cycle, and it was previously well received by Jonathan Van Diest and Marcus McElroy. Cumber's dad would like for him to stay close to home for college, and Christian appears to have strong interest in the Buffs, but he wants to take some summer visits and is not expected to make his college decision until the beginning of August. Purdue recently offered him.

*** Given depth concerns at the position, Colorado is exploring its options to potentially bring in another Junior College safety, or possibly a graduate transfer at safety. As Mike MacIntyre mentioned after practice today, Nick Fisher has started to cross-train at safety and Chidobe Awuzie has the ability to play safety. There are a few 2016 signees – Anthony Julmisse, Derrion Rakestraw and Trey Udoffia – that could potentially end up at safety in the future but the Buffs want them to be able to play the position they were recruited for, at least initially.

*** The Buffaloes have welcomed more than 100 coaches, from different levels, for their annual Coaches' Clinic today. Bill McCartney, Gary Barnett and Dave Logan are all speaking at the event. "I hope they go back with some information that can help them and their team be successful, and I think they will," MacIntyre said. "The way we structure it, it is more of them being able to ask a lot of questions and get things they need to get answered. We let them sit in on all our meetings and be at practice. I think they get a lot out of it. I am really excited about the turnout and the guys here."

*** A vote on whether or not satellite camps will continue to be allowed going forward will take place on April 17. It sounds like they will continue to be allowed, but until the vote passes, CU's summer camp schedule obviously won't be finalized.

pmc44pnrxdatwmsxb2v4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News