ADVERTISEMENT

Press Release from CU on Nate Solder camp

MikeSinger

Buff Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
FORMER BUFF, SUPER BOWL CHAMPION SOLDER TO HOST ONE DAY FOOTBALL CAMP

BUENA VISTA — University of Colorado alum and Super Bowl champion Nate Solder is returning to his roots and will headline a one-day football camp on the fields where he played his high school football.

Solder, currently an offensive tackle with the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, starred at CU late last decade. He played his prep ball at Buena Vista High School, and is returning to Colorado and the mountain town of Buena Vista to take part in the camp at his alma mater on Saturday, July 1.

The “2017 Buena Vista Football Camp” will be broken down into two three-hour sessions: the morning runs from 8-11 a.m. for those entering the third-through sixth grades this fall, with the afternoon camp set for 12-3 p.m. for those entering the seventh-through 12th grades. All positions and skill levels are welcome.

Solder will be joined by several players, including Connor McDermott, Brian Stork and Ryan Wendell, teammates from the Patriots, along with a few other NFL stars from the Denver Broncos, Carolina Panthers and New York Jets. A few former CU teammates will also be participating, including Scotty McKnight, Ryan Miller, Jason Brace, Eric Lawson and Keenan Stevens.

“I am really looking forward to returning home to Colorado and engaging in this camp with several friends I have made playing in the NFL. We know it will be a great experience for those who will participate.

“I haven't been home in a while and I have been wanting to have my NFL friends out for a long time.”

The cost to attend the camp is just $25 and includes instruction and a camp T-shirt. While walk-ups will be accepted the day of the camp, it is preferred that those interested register in advance. To register or for more information, please email Lexi Solder atlexisolder@gmail.com.

Buena Vista High School is located at 559 S. Railroad Street in Buena Vista, which is located about 60 miles west of Colorado Springs off U.S. Highway 24 (approximately 75 miles southwest of Denver).

Proceeds will be put toward the Johnson’s All-Heart Award, which is given to a Colorado high school assistant coach that is not only involved with kids during sports, but also invests time outside the season of sports in helping develop successful young adults. It is presented in the name of the Johnson Family, of which five members died in September 2013 in a rock and mudslide about 8 miles from Buena Vista. The parents, Dwayne and Dawna Johnson, were both coaches at BVHS; they lost a daughter and two nieces but were survived by daughter Gracie and son Dakota.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Solder earned first-team All-America honors for the 2010 season, the first CU offensive tackle to do so since 1979 when Stan Brock was so honored; he was also first-ever to garner consensus All-America honors at the position for the Buffaloes. He played 2,540 out of a possible 2,542 plays on offense his sophomore through senior seasons; of those, exactly 1,400 were called passing plays, and he allowed just five sacks those three years. Academically as a biology major, he was one of 16 National Scholar-Athletes as selected for 2010 by the National Football Foundation.

He began his Buffalo career as a tight end before then-head coach Dan Hawkins and offensive line coach Jeff Grimes believed he had the talent to make it in the pros as an offensive linemen; the end result is that Solder just completed his sixth season with the Patriots and has two Super Bowl rings to show for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News