ADVERTISEMENT

Mustafa Johnson's comments from today

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Here's a video of Mustafa Johnson's chat with the media from earlier this afternoon:

Some key quotes:

Q: How's it been getting to know Chris Wilson and how does he differ from Jimmy Brumbaugh?

Johnson: “They’re almost polar opposites. I’m not going to go too much into technique and what’s going into our gameplan, but they’re definitely very different technique-wise. But the knowledge of the game is still there. It’s just going to be a different technique that I’m going to have to learn, which I’m not too worried about, extending my game a little bit to whatever is going to fit the scheme. But coaching-wise, (Wilson) is real intense. On our Zoom meeting, he doesn’t take (any) B.S. and wants you on point, attentive and ready to go.”

Q: How have voluntary workouts been going and what have they looked like so far?

Johnson: “They’ve actually been really good. Basically how we do it is that there’s an A,B,C,D,E,F group. There’s a bunch of different groups — I’m not sure how many groups there are in total, but I’m with the 9 o’clock group. That’s when my group works out. We’re broken up with different strength coaches (each) day, so we’re like isolated. Right now, they’re easing us into it. We’ve started lifting weights and doing all that different stuff.”

Q: What's your assessment of this year's d-line vs. what it was a calendar year ago?

Johnson: “I would just say that we’ve got depth. That’s the biggest thing, now that we have guys who were able to come in play and get that experience (in 2019), there’s less worry and less strain of like ‘oh, I have to play every snap’ kind of thing. That’s kind of what ended up happening — I played a lot of snaps early on until I was forced not to play snaps because I got hurt. There’s a lot less worry now that we’ve got guys that have done it and been in there before instead of six freshmen that’d never played before and four upperclassmen. I guess that’s the biggest difference — we don’t have that worry. I played my sophomore year and did pretty good so I’m confident in (the underclassmen sophomores) that they can do it, too.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News