ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Rodrigue doing well with '21 OT Austin Barry

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Colorado recently made the cut with Class of 2021 offensive tackle Austin Barry, who trimmed his list of options to five in a recent tops schools list released Sunday morning.

It's going to be an in-conference battle to land the 6-foot-6, 280-pound prospect out of Riverside (J.W. North) Calif. as the Buffs are joined by Utah, ASU, California and UCLA.

Mitch Rodrigue offered Barry back in April and the Buffaloes were his second Pac-12 offer, following Wazzu. Since then, Rodrigue appears to be doing well in forging a good relationship with Barry.

“I’ve been talking with him awhile now," he said. "Colorado was one of my first Pac-12 offers and we’ve been building a great relationship since the beginning. I think he’s a really good coach and that what they’ve got at Colorado might be special here soon.”

Barry named Colorado in his first trimmed options list, a Top 9, back in early May and since then has been able to take a virtual visit to CU. While he mentioned wanting to see Boulder in person, Barry came away from his virtual experience impressed, while Rodrigue has maintained momentum with him since shortly after offering.

“My relationship with coach Rod is really good," Barry said. "We’ve talked about a lot of stuff. He likes me as a player and I like him as a coach. I had a virtual visit and the campus itself is beautiful. All of the stuff they provide you for football — they have an MRI (center) right on campus —it’s really nice.”

Early July is looking like the ballpark timetable for when Barry will pull the trigger and commit and as of now, Colorado appears to be in good standing with him.

Barry has also looked to get a feel for Karl Dorrell and did some prep work on the Buffs' first-year head coach before taking his virtual visit back in May.

“I’ve talked with coach Dorrell a bit, getting a feel for what his style of coaching is," Barry said. "I’ve done some research on him, to see who he is and what he’s done. In terms of talking to him, I was able to talk to him on the virtual visit and (we) text a bit. I think he’s a really cool guy that knows what he’s doing.”

Keep an eye on Barry as the summer progresses. He very well may be the first fish Rodrigue reels in off the line.

https://www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/10145981/5dd606d9dfd8950ddc3ebca6

FIN

...Would be great to get a big boy such as Barry into the 2021 equation. Rodrigue talks a lot about liking athleticism in an o-lineman and Barry definitely looks the part. Geaux get him, coach Rod!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News