ADVERTISEMENT

How good is CU really?

Longtimebuff1

Buff Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
...and how do you think we will fare in the rest of conference play? Watching the late games last night it struck me that there is a lot of parity in the conference, and we have some very tough games in front of us. I still don't have a sense for just how competitive CU will be honestly. CU has looked very good against some very bad teams. As I mentioned in an earlier post this week will show us more concretely what we have. For some reason after watching last night I feel a little cynical about CU's chances going forward. Maybe Cynical is not the right word. Perhaps slightly more pessimistic is a better choice of words. Here is the rest of the schedule:

ASU - Home
USC - Away
Washington - Away
Oregon State - Home
Arizona - Away
Washington State - Home
Utah - Home
Cal - Away

I think OSU is a win. I think UW is a loss. Those are the only games i feel reasonably certain about. ASU I give a 60% chance of winning mainly because we are home. USC is away and Daniels is improving with every game - 40/60. I think Arizona is improving every week, and we play them away, so 40/60. Washington State is very good, and we are lucky we get them at home. Utah seems a little off this year, but they are still a good team. I would put the chances for a win against WSU and Utah as 50/50, and Cal is looking good as well, and they are featuring a fairly dynamic running QB, and that game is away, so maybe a 50/50 shot.

I think if you look at the spectrum of possibilities, I think CU will be bowl eligible - to not be would mark an epic collapse. If we win the one game we should be expected to (OSU), lose the 40/60 games and split the 50/50 games we would finish with 7 or 8 wins (I would take this and be fairly happy about it). Otoh, I could see CU improving steadily as we get our o-line settled, in which case the 50/50 games become 60/40 and the 40/60 games become a 50/50 proposition, at which point ten wins becomes a possibility, if CU can play at a very high level. The limiting factors are imo, the running game - TM is looking very good, but we don't have a back who can pound the rock inside reliably, and I think that could hurt us down the road; and on defense, I am concerned that the Drew Lewis side of the d-line is going to be an exploitable vulnerability, particularly with running QB's. I am curious what other people's take is.

Reactions: buffnator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News