ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops: 2020 commit Dominique Clifford interview

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
Had the chance to speak with new Colorado 2020 commit Dominque Clifford of Colorado Springs today and thought I'd share what he said.

Here's the synopsis: Clifford sees himself playing a big role in the success of Tad Boyle's Buffaloes in years to come. He wants to play as a freshman and sees big things possible with he along with fellow class member Luke O'Brien plus 2019 signee (and four-star PG) Keeshawn Barthelemy in years to come.

Clifford, at 6-foot-5 and 175 pounds, averaged a double-double (18.9 points, 11.3 rebounds) as a junior at Vanguard as a junior, leading his team to the Class 3A state championship game.

I sense a lot of maturity from Dominique, I like where his head is at, how he's looking down the barrel and getting fired up about the future and of course not to mention his skill set and what he can bring to the table as early as 2020.

“Being able to wear Colorado on my chest and represent that is really cool but the reason I picked (CU) was mainly the coaching staff but also the vision they have for the team and program in the next couple years," Clifford said. "I think we could be pretty successful. (Tad Boyle’s) vision for me matched what I was seeing in myself. I just really liked what he saw in me and what he thought I could be and how I fit into the team, as well.”

Boyle clearly was able to create a clear and concise picture for Clifford regarding the direction of the program in years to come and how a recruit like him could impact the upward trajectory of it.

And furthermore, it's nice to see Clifford looking at the big picture. He talks a lot about "we" as in, what he, O'Brien and Barthelemy are capable of.

"The guys I’m coming in with, Keeshawn and Luke and hopefully Tari (Eason), I think we could all be pretty good," Clifford said "...That was one of my main goals — coming in with a group of guys who can get the job done and who are on the path as me — I think that’s important."

By Clifford's language and also by a brief examination of Colorado's roster, in terms of the age of key players (Shane Gatling and Lucas Siewert will graduate, Tyler Bey likely has his eyes on the NBA Draft, McKinley Wright might be a toss up to return for his senior year, and so on) — point being, with Clifford, Barthelemy and O'Brien, Boyle appears to be eyeing up three guys to alleviate the loss of a lot of main contributors CU has in 2019.

“(Boyle mentioned how) McKinley Wright, D’Shawn (Schwartz), Evan Battey and Tyler Bey, how they came in and (became) main players their freshman year, how we could be the future of the program. I definitely liked hearing that," Clifford said.

I asked Clifford about his skills set on the defensive side of the ball. Those familiar with Boyle's style of basketball will know he places much emphasis on perimeter defense and especially rebounding. From what I'm gathering, Clifford seems ready to do just that in college.

“Coach Tad like players who are long and lengthy," he said. "He likes how that helps the team on the defensive end. He recruits a lot of dudes similar to me so coming in with guys who also have length like me, I think that’s pretty unstoppable defensively — getting steals, tips, blocks — you’ve got to take pride on the defensive end.”

Clifford said that throughout his senior season, he wants to bulk up and continue to polish his game so that by the time of his freshman year at CU, he can be in the best spot possible to earn playing time.

"I’ve been getting in the weight room a lot more just to build my body up and get ready for the physical play at the college level," he said. "(I also want to ) make sure my jump shot is really consistent, that my handles are super tight, and just tightening everything up. I think I have all the attributes, I just need to tighten everything up and make them consistent, then definitely put on weight and (add) strength. I’m going to work hard at that before I get to the college level."

Pumped to see this kid on campus. Great get for Tad Boyle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News