ADVERTISEMENT

HCKD video from earlier today, interesting note on the OLBs

Guerriero

Buff Heisman
Staff
Apr 22, 2019
Boulder
As I am sure you'll all remember, last year, opposite Carson Wells, the Buffs utilized a committee approach at the other outside linebacker position, rotating Joshka Gustav, Guy Thomas and Jamar Montgomery in.

Gustav, despite playing in just 91 snaps (compared to Wells' 280) managed to lead the team in quarterback pressures with seven. Thomas (80 snaps) and Montgomery (66 snaps) were used more on first and second down.

I asked Karl Dorrell today whether a scenario could arise where one player could be seeing the majority of the snaps next to Wells or if a committee approach would be the way the Buffs would do things once again in 2021.

He didn't close the door on one man becoming the go-to guy but explained that none of the aforementioned three OLBs have done enough to assert themselves as deserving of the lion's share of snaps.

Dorrell: “I think it’s really up to that group in terms of who wants to take it. We’re confident that we have the quality work of really good players in that spot but it is a challenging and very competitive situation for them because if they want the job, they have to be consistent, much like what Carson (Wells) is, and really compete within that group."

"All three of those guys we were counting on playing but none of them has separated themselves enough to warrant for him to be the mainstay. I like it, but whoever wants it, they need to have the most consistency, the most production and match what Carson is doing on the other side. If it doesn’t quite add up that way, then we’ll continue to have the rotation."

"But it’s a good situation because they’ve all gotten better. Joshka and Guy, Guy is healthy, back from his surgery getting transitioned in and getting reps. Jamar had a really good spring — he got a little bit dinged towards the end of spring with a concussion, but he was having a really good spring. All three of those guys have great qualities but no one’s taken the job yet. It’s really up to them.”

That's a developing situation to keep a tab on. I do wonder if any one guy might emerge by camp's end as deserving of seeing the majority of the snaps. Perhaps, perhaps not.

DORRELL FULL REMARKS:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News