ADVERTISEMENT

Full Q&A with Colorado's newest commit, Isaiah Lewis

ChristianJames

Buff Heisman
Staff
Mar 1, 2010
Cl04s4TUsAEXdZk.jpg:large

For you, why did you pick Colorado?
"Most definitely it was the academics. They have a very high graduation rate and they try to get you out within three or four years. That is what stood out the most."

How important were the coaches in your decision?
"What stood out most is how they made me feel a part of the team at the camp. They really embraced me and coached me up. They showed me what to do and what not to do. When we first got to the campus, the facilities were all top of the line. They showed me what it would be like to be a part of the tradition."

When did they first offer?
"The first time they officially offered was when I went to visit the campus. That was two weeks ago on a Saturday."

rloxucuqint32wgvnbhh

Lewis runs down a running back during the 2015 season

After they offered, do you feel it was a matter of time before you decided?
"Yeah, pretty much. I went up there and we felt at home. We were really for that to be the next place I go to play football and go to school. It wasn’t that hard of a decision."

How did that visit go overall?
"It was amazing. It was nothing we had ever seen before with all the new facilities. They were great. That is what really stood out when we were up there."

What stood out most with the new facilities?
"Everything was just so new with all technology and construction. It was a breathtaking place with the campus as well. It was a really nice environment."

What other schools were considered?
"Honestly it was kind of them and Cal. They were at the top. Washington State showed me some love and a couple of Mountain West and Big Sky schools. Colorado definitely showed the most."

What schools had offered you?
"Right now, I just have Colorado, Wyoming, and then a Division II school called Kentucky Christian."

Are you shutting down recruiting?
"I'm obviously loyal so I'll stick to my commit no matter what. It is pretty much just what Coach Mac said. He said that he wants me and we want him. We can take official visits but there is no reason for that. It is kind of like a family loyalty thing going on."

How do you feel about this recruiting class?
"It is great. I am about to get in touch with all of the recruits. I've seen who is recruited and obviously it is a bunch if great athletes. When we all get together, it could be something special."

Where are they recruiting you at position wise?
"They wanted me at safety and nickel back."

Where are you playing position wise this high school season?
"I'm playing a little bit of everything with safety, corner, wide receiver, running back, and a little bit of quarterback for fun."

How do you feel about your high school team this season?
"The team specifically has to be one of the most talented teams. My high school is not known for having a bunch of really great athletes but we are expecting something great this year."

Granite Bay head football coach Jeff Evans Q&A on CU commit Isaiah Lewis

What type of player is Colorado getting with Granite Bay safety Isaiah Lewis? We caught up with his head football coach, Jeff Evans, and talked to him about that and much more now!

How would you describe Isaiah as a player?
"For us, he is a do everything guy as far as he does all the little things and is one of the leaders on our team. We used him on offense as a power back to get the tough yards but he also was one of our playmakers. We can spread him out to be able to return kicks. He also played some defensive back at our school where we haven't had a lot of those guys that go both ways. You can't keep him off the field. We think we will have a good team and he is right at the forefront of that."

What are his main strengths as a player?
"He is strong and he really doesn't have a weakness in his game to be honest. I don't want to jinx him but he is big, fast, and strong. He also has the right attitude and work ethic. He is what they call in the baseball world a five tool player. He does the work in the weight room and I know he has been doing a lot of camps. We require a lot from our guys with attitude and leadership. He gets it."

What areas of his game is he seeking to improve?
"I think over the years he has always kind of been more advanced athletically growing up. The game came kind of easy for him early on. I think that aggressiveness part is really kicking in. We saw it last year when we got to our playoff run. The early part of the year he'd try to run around guys and avoid contact. He has worked on that aggressive part to get the five yards when we need four. Once he got it, it clicked and he became even better for us."

How does he project out in college?
"I think he has all the tools. He has long arms, very good technique, and getting coached at what we think helps him for the college level. We don't rely on gimmicks and schemes or sticking the biggest, baddest guy in a spot. We teach guys to play. He will have great technique offensively carrying the ball and projecting the ball. We feel he is a well rounded player. His body and work ethic seems so effortless with his athleticism. That will continue to grow. We have a solid weight program so I think he'll come ready to play. It is difficult going from high school to college but I think he can contribute right away. The coaches see him more as a safety type of player and that is where I think he'll end up body wise. He is really big and athletic."

What did the Colorado coaches say about him?
"I think they were impressed with his size coupled with his effortless athleticism. It looks really easy when he is running. He has shown out really well at defensive back and it is not just the highlights. The coaches watch all the games because they want to see what the athlete does on the one yard gain or when they run away from you. He is a football player and an athlete. They noticed his work ethic. They watched him at camp, have seen him in practice, and saw him workout in the weight room. He plays against top competition in California with our schedule."

Did a lot of coaches come through during the spring?
"We have been fortunate over the years to have some big time players so we have developed a reputation for our players that they will be ready for college ball even if they are not the most athletic, biggest, or strongest. They know our kids will be good academically and have good work ethics. What the coaches see is a kid that works hard. He is one of our most impressive kids in the weight room but he does not big time anyone. He is a leader of guys and does not rely on being a super athlete. They see a leader and someone who is willing to work to separate him from just being a great athlete."

What colleges were serious about him in recruiting?
"Coach MacIntyre was at San Jose State and my family has ties to the area so we have had a lot of contact with CU. We have a player at Colorado (tight end Dylan Keeney). I don't want to make him sound like this but Isaiah is a mama's boy in a good way. He spends time with his family and is a family kid. When he got to Colorado early in the process, he was impressed with the family feel of it and the small town feel of Boulder. You can't help but fall in love with the campus there. He was extremely impressed with Coach MacIntyre and they talked for thirty minutes. Before that he talked to Isaiah's mom for fifteen minutes without even talking to Isaiah. They talked about discipline and what he wants from his student athletes. Coach MacIntyre said that if you won’t go to class or are not a hard worker, then don't sign up. We always thought it would be a school like Colorado, Boise State, or San Jose State. Cal Berkley was looking at him too. I think he would prefer to stay relatively close to home and Colorado is close."

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News