ADVERTISEMENT

For Track & Field guys, just for fun, kind of long

JBTBUFFS

Junior Starter
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
San Antonio, TX
As a former high school sprinter, I always enjoy speculating each year about who would make up CU football's dream sprint relay team (4 x 100m). Along with Perry and Stanley who are running track at CU this spring, I know that Arias was also a successful high school sprinter. Understand there is a big difference in track speed and football speed, but, this is just for fun. Looking through the bios for other guys who ran track in high school, here's what I found. Nice to see so much speed on the roster at WR and DB.

RB’s:
  • Clayton - His personal bests are 11.0 in the 100-meters and 23.0 in the 200-meters … He’s been clocked at 4.42 seconds in the 40-yard dash
  • Smith - Was on his teams 4x100 relay team and competed in the high jump … Top 100-meter time was 10.85 and 200-meter time was 22.06
  • Broussard - On the track he had a personal-best time of 11.57 in the 100-meter dash and a long jump of 21-11.5, which placed him first at the TAPPS 6A North Regional meet
WR’s:
  • Rice - Ran track in high school … His top time in the 100-meters is 10.78
  • Arias - As a senior he won the 400-meter Class 4A title with a time of 49.02 and finished fourth in the 200-meters with a time of 22.21 … His junior year he placed second at state in the 100- and 400-meters
  • Jackson - He also competed on the track and field team, where he recorded a time of 10.55 in the 100-meter dash
  • Bell - Ran track in HS, competing in the 200- and 400-meter dashes. Top times in those events were 22.7 and 49.5, respectively
  • Stanley - In track, he helped Cherry Creek to the Class 5A state title in the 4x100-meter relay (42.46 seconds) while individually he placed fourth in the 100-meter dash (10.90) and fifth in the 200 (22.30) … Posted a 10.72 100-meter time in the prelims of the Class 5A state meet
  • Carpenter – Participated in track & field at Jacksonville … His personal bests include 21.0 seconds in the 200m, 6-0 in the high jump, 44-4.75 in the triple jump and he also participated in the relay events.
DB’s:
  • Miller - Anchored his 800-meter relay team that claimed the Class 5A Region I Championship on their way to the state meet.
  • Perry - As a Sr. participated in track and field for the first time this spring and plans to compete in the 100, 200, 4x100 and long jump
  • Bethel - He also ran track and his top times are 10.78 in the 100-meters and 21.57 in the 200-meters
  • Oats – Nothing in his bio about track, but, thought I remembered he was a blazer, seems like he had a stupid fast 40 time or something.
  • Gonzalez - Ran track & field in high school and had a personal best of 21.6 seconds in the 200-meters in the Texas State Championships
  • Pittman - Ran track & field in high school and was a regional finalist in the long jump and triple jump
  • Appleton - Participated in Track & Field at Cherry Creek in the 200-meters and long jump
  • Robinson - Participated in track, running the 100- and 200-meter dashes as well as the 4x100 and 4x200 relay teams in high school … Ran 10.86 in the 100-meter dash his junior year and top 200-meter time was 22.02, which was good for third place at the Continental League Championships
So, my sprint relay team would be:

1st leg Jaylon Jackson, 10.55 100m time in high school. With that time, may be the fastest guy on the team, if his injury history hasn't slowed him down much. Figure he would be very quick out of the blocks

2nd leg Chris Carpenter, 21.00 200m time in high school. Always prefer a strong 200m guy running 2nd as it’s the longest leg. My backup pick here is Daniel Arias

3rd leg Dimitri Stanley, running track at CU. Hopefully he has improved his high school best 10.72 100m. Looked very fast last season, and his Dad was very fast

4th leg, anchor, Mark Perry, taking a bit of a flyer here. He's running track at CU, not much history on his times but appears to be very serious about track and has been in a few high profile meets. Apparently has run a 10.7 100m and should be improving. I picture him as a very strong runner, a finisher and a winner.

My sleeper pick would be D.J. Oats, but don’t have any real history or feedback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News