ADVERTISEMENT

Sandlot football

dtownbuff

Buff Forever
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2009
Denver
I’ve thought about this a lot this year as I watch the Buffs. They are fun to watch but are coached very sloppily and play very sloppily.
I was thinking about SS and his lack of awareness of situational football, clock management and pocket presence. About Lewis and Sanders and their gunslinger mentality and lack of situational awareness as well. Hunter and his brash style that seems to be much more me focused than gsme focused.

This whole crew comes from places where they had better athletes and could play sandlot ball. In FCS and High School (very similar levels really ) you can out athlete other teams and just go for broke over and over. Usually you will be successful by virtue of the athletic difference. The Mac and G5 are only a step up slightly from that and you see it there to.

They don’t know how to play at this level yet or what type of coaching it takes.

I worried about that on this board before the season and with the hires. Don’t mistake ther I think we made the exact right hire for where CU was or that I don’t think SS, Hunter and a few others aren’t very talented and the real deal.

However, the rules haven’t changed at this level. We aren’t going to out system guys. We don’t have a lot of talent and are best in a break even with all but three teams on our schedule this year and have less than probably 7 of them. That means we have to coach correctly and play correctly to win.

You can’t just go for it over and over. You can’t run around in the pocket all day. You can’t try to jump every pass but miss tackles. You have to coach and play smart and focused.

These guys have never had to do that.

IMO, coach Sanders needs to look hard at his staff. I know he thinks he can change the rules etc. He can’t and he won’t. He needs to bring in some veteran coaches. Are they coordinators. Are they given a position and consult. Who can have find to be his AHC and be an influence he is willing to listen to and learn from behind closed doors but let Sanders go chase the attention he needs in public?

There is a lot of learning to do by this staff and the players. The stars haven’t had to play with discipline. They need to learn it and I don’t think asking coaches who also don’t have experience to teach it is a recipe for success the first few years. I know we all would like things to happen faster than that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News